Career planning is nothing else than the correct knowledge of our aims. The advance does not necessarily mean higher position-level, but professional and personal development, newer and more exciting tasks. In account of the advance we have to size up our abilities, capabilities and possibilities and in order to them we have to make the plan. The above mentioned model can be advantageous for beginners, unemployed and for those who want to modify their careers.
The career planning is based on the following steps:
- Getting to know ourselves (based on this)
- Choose what we want, (then)
- Know how can we achieve that
1. Make balance-sheet about our strength and weakness :
- Collecting, analyzing and sorting of experiences in our work and free-time activities.
- Collecting the most important successes and think over what kind of capabilities help to achieve them. (strength)
- Calling up the biggest set-backs and think over what kind of capabilities could help to achieve success. (development area)
2. Think over what kind of jobs,
Tasks suit the best for our demands, select that three point-of-view, which are the most important for us: mental challenge, creativity, money, enough free-time or advance possibility, flexible work time. Make an order, how important these things are:
- What kind of activities do I like in general?
- What kind of school, work, public and sport activities do I enjoy?
- Make a list from those activities, which You enjoyed in the recent years.
- Rating these activities, why do I like these activities and what kind of challenges did they mean to me?
3. If we did that rating, we shoul select that direction,
How we want to start searching for jobs and plan our conception realization, schedule the steps (i.e.: when do we make the application, where do we browse the advertisements, etc.)
- My aims and needs suit for my personal parameters?
- Where am I now, how far did I reach on my way?
In the next step we size up our possibilities on the base of the advertisements, friends and old colleagues, what kind of job offers are in the profession. It is worth to build-up more plans, where we should depart.
- Educational requirements,
- Labour circumstances,
- Labour market trends,
- Future prospects etc.
There are several ways for job searching, the best if we combine them.
- Application by personal contacts: this kind of application method has the highest situation rate (70%)
- Checking the advertisements in newspapers: Do not look only the dailies, but also the professional and economical magazines, in there can be found a big section of job offers.
- Consultant / executive search company: CVs can be registered here, and interviews are made with the applicant and they are informed when they are offered an acceptable job. The service is free of charge for the applicants and here You can find many jobs, which are not advertised also.
- On-line jobboards: it is worth to register, because you can browse many job offers free of charge. You can sign up to their newsletter, so they continuously inform you about the newest jobs.